Monday, April 19, 2010

Who wants to double down?


There's been considerable buzz (positive and negative) about this new "sandwich" from KFC... they have both a fried and grilled version reported to contain 11g and 3g carbs respectively. Basically, it is 2 chicken breasts, a couple flimsy slices of bacon, one slice of pepper jack cheese, and "special sauce". I opted for the grilled version but in haste forgot to ask for the sauce on the side. I got mine to go so I had to smell it the whole 8 minute drive home...

I opened it up and my first impression was "wow, this isn't really that big"... then I opened it up and I was like "wow, I expected this to be bigger...". Now it was pretty big, but I'm a big dude and I like to eat so I wanted more than was there. It came in this paper wrapper that let you eat it with one hand which was nice; it kept all the grease, sauce, and melted cheese off my "I ♥ BBQ" tshirt so I was a happy camper. The overall taste was at best a 6 or 7 out of ten. The chicken was juicy and hot but I could barely taste the bacon or cheese. The sauce overpowered the rest of the components, so I think next time I will drop the sauce and perhaps dip it in sour cream or something maybe even some baconnaise :)

All in all, probably a better choice as far as low carb goes, but not worth $5, I think $3.50-$3.99 would be a proper price range. So we'll give the taste a 6.5, the value a 4, and I would say as far as filling my gut... about a 6. I could have easily eaten another one.

6 comments:

  1. I dig this sandwich. A little expensive, but yummy and great in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to try that...but is it high calorie? Apparently I have to do low carb AND low calorie or else no pound leaves my body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering whether whatever they marinate the grilled chicken in has added sugar, and therefore additional carbs ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's probably injected with a solution to keep it juicy after cooking which if I'm not mistaken, does not add carbs but it is high in sodium. It looks pretty good, I may try one to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't bring myself to try this yet. I've been seeing and hearing a lot about it lately. I'm sure I will eventually try it on one of those days when my husband and I are out and he gets a hankerin' for chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely high in sodium, but I'm not sure about sugar in the marinade. I can taste sweet from a mile away but couldn't taste it in the chicken itself however I could taste it in the sauce.

    ReplyDelete